One of the most common questions I get asked from wedding guests and clients is what gear do I use. So I thought I would take this opportunity to write a short post addressing this very question 🙂
So at he beginning of 2017 I made the switch from Nikon to the Fuji mirror-less system and have not looked back since. It really is an unbelievable system and the lenses are out of this world. I now shoot with two Fuji xt2’s and for the most part have my 50mm-140mm f2.8 fixed to the one on my right shoulder and the 23mm f1.4 prime on my left. For anyone thinking in full frame terms these are your 70mm-200mm f2.8 and 35mm f1.4 equivalents. This gives all the reach I need for 90% of the wedding day. The other 10% will be taken with the wider 18mm f2, but I only use this for interior shots or establishing shots and sometimes larger group shots if the need be. I also use the battery grip on the camera with the 50mm – 140-mm as I find it helps balance the camera and does as it should, providing additional grip.
I use the fuji 16mm macro tube for getting in close for details and ring shots. I use this on the back of my 50mm-140mm f2.8 lens which gives me the perfect distance and flexibility for getting those all important shots.
Moving on to lighting. I use Nissin i60A speed lights, which I have two of. These are very compact flashes and also work with the air controller to give you off camera functionality. I also use a Youngnou 300 11 video light for when things get too dark and I need to light a space.
When the weather permits and I have the time, I bring the drone out for some establishing shots of the venue. I use the dji phantom 3 advanced but I am thinking about moving to the Mavic soon, only because of portability reasons.
My bag is the awesome think tank airport navigator. So I never thought I would find the perfect camera bag for weddings until 2 years ago when I came across this bag from Think Tank. It’s certainly not cheap, but it just fits everything in so well and makes everything accessible within seconds. Its not too heavy and has wheels and retractable pull handle. It even fits in the overhead bins on most aircraft which is a massive plus. Thumbs up to Think Tank
Memory cards – not the most exciting thing in the world to talk about but probably the most important. I have used lots of different brands over the years but for the last three years have settled with Sandisk. They have very reliable cards and I use the 32gb Extreme pro with a 300mb/s write speed which speeds up the work flow some what and allows for shooting 4k video if needed.
If I’m shooting video as well, then I bring along my Giottos tripod with the Manfrotto video head, sound recording gear and the feyu tech gimbal.
So that really is what I bring along to most of my wedding shoots, its a system that has worked really well for me this year. Everything is now a lot lighter than it was when I used the Nikon d800 and lenses, which definitely helps with fatigue. For my photography editing I use adobe lightroom and photoshop and adobe premier for my video editing.
I have put together a list for you which will give you more information about the gear I use, if you click on the link you will be able to take a look at the cost and read reviews about each item.
My cameras | Fuji xt2
My zoom lens | 50mm -140mm f2.8
Prime lens | 23mm f1.4
Prime lens | 18mm f2
Battery grip | Fuji booster grip
Macro tube | 16 mm macro tube
Speed lights | Nissin i60a
speed light controller | Nissin air commander
video light | Youngnuo 300
Drone | DJI Phantom 3 advanced
Camera bag | Think tank airport navigator
Memory cards | Sandisk extreme pro 32 gb
tripod | Giottos tripod
video head | Manfrotto video head
If you have any questions about my gear, please leave me a comment below and I will get back to you asap.
Thanks for reading 🙂